This website can use cookies to improve the user experience

This website can use cookies to improve the user experience and to provide certain services and functions to users. Cookies contain small amounts of information (such as login information and user preferences) and will be stored on your device.

Enable All Cookies Privacy Policy

Install problem - MySQL database server is not reachable.

DoctorWatsOn 42
Hi, I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle of installation. Flushed Face

I am trying to install the trail version to have a play with; I’ve set-up a new database and uploaded all the Contentteller files into a sub-directory on my server.

I’ve run install and completed the configuration details, but when a click next all I am getting is this message:

The MySQL database of this Contentteller Content Management System installation has encountered the following problem:
The MySQL database server is not reachable

Please try it in a few minutes again. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I’ve tried several times over the last hour or so and I keep getting the same message.

Not that I am very experienced in all this sort of thing, but I am thinking it can’t be a problem with the MySQL database server as my live vB4 site is working OK as are my test installs of XenForo & WordPress.

Any suggestions?

Notice

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

1 Re: Install problem - MySQL database server is not reachable.
Administrator
There is no documentation beside the installation guide yet, but I plan to publish a few guides in the next couple of weeks.
OP 42
Is there any other file (index.cgi or .htaccess) in your Contentteller directory? Maybe one of the files has the wrong permission?

Try setting the permissions of all files and subdirectories inside of the Contentteller directory to 755. Right click the Contentteller directory/folder in Filezilla => File permissions => Numeric value 755 and check "Recurse into subdirectories".

Yep, that seems to have worked - thanks again.

I maybe being stupid here, but I’ve looked around and can’t find any, is there any documentation/user guide?
Administrator
Is there any other file (index.cgi or .htaccess) in your Contentteller directory? Maybe one of the files has the wrong permission?

Try setting the permissions of all files and subdirectories inside of the Contentteller directory to 755. Right click the Contentteller directory/folder in Filezilla => File permissions => Numeric value 755 and check "Recurse into subdirectories".
OP 42
OK, it's installed and I am in the adminCP, but if I try to view the actual  test site I am getting this error now:

A file permissions error has occurred. Please check the permissions on the script and the directory it is in and try again.

Confused Face
OP 42
Any special characters in the password?

Yep, the database password included a '$' symbol, I've removed that and it's now working - I am up to the config with XenForo page so far, so I should be OK now with the install.

Thanks for your quick replies. Smiling Face
Administrator
Any special characters in the password?

If you want I can take a look. In this case please setup a FTP account for that subdirectory and send me the login.
OP 42
This error indicates that the script can't connect to the MySQL server with the provided login.

Can you verify the database configuration in /includes/config.php ?

Thanks for the quick reply, here's what's in there (minus password, which I've removed):

<?php

$config['DB_HOSTNAME'] = "localhost";
$config['DB_USERNAME'] = "web233-conteller";
$config['DB_PASSWORD'] = xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
$config['DB_DATABASE'] = "web233-conteller";
$config['DB_LAYER'] = "mysql";
$config['DB_PREFIX'] = "cont1";
$config['WEBSITE'] = "1";
$config['MAIN_MODULE'] = "content";
$config['DEFAULT_THEME'] = "1";
$config['ADMIN_LANGUAGE'] = "en";
$config['INSTALL_CHARSET'] = "UTF-8";
$config['CACHE_PREFERENCES'] = "0";

?>

I made-up a DB-prefix as I wasn't sure what to put in there, butI tried it with nothing in there too and got the same problem and I assume if that was the problem I would get a different error message.

EDIT: The database username and database name are both the same on my server.
Administrator
This error indicates that the script can't connect to the MySQL server with the provided login.

Can you verify the database configuration in /includes/config.php ?

Notice

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.