This website can use cookies to improve the user experience

This website can use cookies to improve the user experience and to provide certain services and functions to users. Cookies contain small amounts of information (such as login information and user preferences) and will be stored on your device.

Enable All Cookies Privacy Policy

Hi to any of the XenForo gang....

DoctorWatsOn 42
....following me over from the thread on the  XenForo site to have a good look at using Contentteller with xF. Smiling Face

Notice

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

1 Re: Hi to any of the XenForo gang....
I checked out your site and though you call it a work in progress it looks very nice so far. Kudos.

I checked the XenForo forums you have and am I correct in assuming that it was a vBulletin import?

Im using SMF at my current live site and really do hope that I can find a way to import it into XenForo if I choose to move that live site over to ContentTeller and Xen.

I wish I had never moved from SMF to vB. One thing to be careful on. Moving SMF to vB looses your members passwords. I got punished for that hard. I still have people since way back in February asking for password resets. My active users fell apart real bad after moving.

This is going to sound awful, but I think SMF to IPB to vB to XenForo will retain the passwords.
OP 42
Thanks for the offer. I have a friend who has two vB sites up so I will see what he thinks about it. Good idea for sure!! Thx.

No problem, I did take a quick look at  this page on XenFans offering conversion from the likes of phpBB & IPB from just $29, they don't mention SMF, but I am sure they could handle it, maybe worth asking them if you have no luck otherwise.
Thanks for the offer. I have a friend who has two vB sites up so I will see what he thinks about it. Good idea for sure!! Thx.
OP 42
I checked out your site and though you call it a work in progress it looks very nice so far. Kudos.

Well thank you kind sir, what you see there so far took about 4 hours from installing my licensed copy of Ct and much of that was playing around finding the right photos to crop for the shape I am using for the slideshow – talk about having a new toy for Christmas lol. Grinning Face

Although I did spend, in total, about 16 hours over a few days playing with the trial version and asking questions on here before actually buying a licence and doing that install. I am a bit of a novice at running websites my only experience was setting-up the Doctor WatsOn site initially using vB3 with vbAdvanced as a home page, but I needed CMS, so I was well pleased when vB4 came out and well disappointed after I purchased and started to use it. Pouting Face

That’s why I am enjoying myself so much with Ct as CMS and xF for the forum – ideally I need a decent calendar for event listings, which is currently missing, but I have a couple of ideas as workarounds for now and until one is released for xF or maybe even Ct.

I checked the XenForo forums you have and am I correct in assuming that it was a vBulletin import?

Yep, it was a vB4 import, using the mod over on the xF forums, which seems to have worked very well indeed. The only real problem I can see is some of the old youtube videos that were embedded using a mod before vB introduced the feature, because these use different BB codes, but apparently you can do a ‘search and replace’ in the database to change those.

Im using SMF at my current live site and really do hope that I can find a way to import it into XenForo if I choose to move that live site over to ContentTeller and Xen.

I’ve seen something about importing SMF into xF over on the xF forums; I think the suggestion for now was to import SMF in vB and then from that into xF. You may find something with a search and/or ask over there or on  XenFans, who may even offer that service for a small price.

Having a vB licence myself I guess I could help you, not sure how it works, but I am sure it’s not rocket science, I think you would have to e-mail me your database, I would convert it to vB and e-mail it back for you to import into xF once you have a licence. Or something like that, I would be happy to do that for free, but perhaps this is better for the discussion on the xF forums, if you want to find an existing thread or start a new one over there and send me a link to it by PM, sorry PC, I’ll join in on it.

OP 42
We have three more that have come over from xF - weiyan, Fred Sherman & SteveL - *waves* Smiling Face

It could be handy for future xF-ers thinking of buying Contentteller to post links to any permanent installs we do on this thread for people to take a look at.

Mind is currently very much work in progress and is linked in my signature below for reference.
This is interesting. I think it has much more capability than I am looking for but that is not a bad thing. I could grow into the capability. I am curious if it will do the specific things I want. Smiling Face
OP 42
Hello Doctor

Hi mate, I see at least one xF customer has already purchased a licence here since I bumped that thread yesterday - should be interesting to see how all this works out.
....following me over from the thread on the  XenForo site to have a good look at using Contentteller with xF. Smiling Face

Hello Doctor

Notice

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.